Decorating & Furniture/carpet colour for versatility of room use

Question
bedroom3.jpg   sitting.jpg
bedroom3.jpg sitting  
Hi Jenny: The top floor of our 1940's home was an attic later converted to a bedrm. The room is 10'x 25', with sloped ceilings starting 4' above the floor. Small orignal style single hung windows on the east and west side. We will be selling, and as such don't know if it will be used for a bedroom, office, or family rm. The carpet selected has a pattern with small squares.  The walls and ceiling will be painted a light colour and the end walls darker.  The dilema is the colour of the carpet - brown tones, green or grey. Have polled friends and it's a tie vote. We want to do an awesome job with this house. Refinished original hardwood flrs, original wood trims, marble and tile in the bathrm, new windows with pewter like bars on the top,stained glass window panel I'm making for piano window, oak kitchen, shutters on the outside, I should stop now,  sorry I'm taking up too of your time. I'd really appreciate if you have any suggestions. Photo shows original room. It has since been primed. Thanks Kindly, Barb

Answer
Hi Barb,

While the space is certainly unique with lots of potential, it can't be classified as a bedroom (realtor's rules, not mine) unless it has a closet within it.  

In any event, I'd opt for a brown toned neutral carpeting there.  Something light enough to be considered neutral and not light enough to be considered white or off-white.  

Sounds as though you've put a lot of sweat equity into this one.  Good luck with the sale!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik