Decorating & Furniture/dining/living room color?

let me start by saying that i have not fared well at picking paint color in the past, so choosing a color for our dining room seems like it's going to be a nightmare...  we have a very open floor plan so the dining room definitely needs to be magnificent. our living room is yellow (very similar to benjamin moore's westminster gold 200).  We have a huge stone fireplace that is the centerpiece of the house (light tan stone with gray morter).  i actually think the living room could be a shade darker to make the fireplace pop but that's another project.  we have tans/browns everywhere in both the dining room and living room (we strive for the pottery barn country/contemporary decor).  The dining room has a medium shade of brown laminate flooring and the antique honey colored dining furniture (montego honey dining table from Pottery Barn and Como console).  i was thinking of going with something bold but not sure what (a rich dark chocolate brown was the thought but it will probably be too dark).  i love the slate gray color also (light and dark shades - even bluish gray would be cool) but not sure if i see this color with our decor (picture it with more of a modern decor - bluish gray seems more like a beach house feel??).  is gray even an option with a yellow living room and tons of tans and browns (is it ok to have gray which may tie into the morter of the fireplace)?  do you think the yellow in the living room is washing out the fireplace?  too many questions so any help will be appreciated.
Thanks a ton,

You're right in thinking the chocolate would be too much.  While I understand your desire to do something bold in the dining room, the bluish grey appears to be the best choice because of the gold that's in the living room.  The other choice could be a softer shade of the same living room gold for consistency.

If you feel the gold is too much (living room) remember, it's only paint.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology