Decorating & Furniture/dining room questions

Hi Elizabeth,
I live in a colonial house.  Due to mold on the walls, I have to paint my dining room. All the rooms are painted linen white with white trims except for the dining room.  The previous owner painted it what looks to be a faux finish.  I would like to paint the whole house but right now I will just do the dining room.  I will paint it myself and therefore I will not do another faux job.
The dining room is small, about 14 x 14.  There is a window on the east wall and a picture window on the north wall (the room is not very light). The floors in the whole house are oak wood - naturally stained -medium gold/brown.  The dining room has a chair rail.  It also has 2 dark brown bookcases and a dark brown breakfront.  The dining room table is dark brown and so are the chairs.    The chair seats are a medium to dark blue tweed.  There is an area rug that is blue/tan and off-white.
I need help in deciding what colors to paint the room.  It is small so I would like it to look bigger and lighter.  I was told to use Behr paint because of the mold problem.
Thank you so much.

Hello Jackie,

Thanks for the question! I don't have a Behr fan deck, but I would suggest that you paint below the chair rail in the tan that is in the rug, and then the lighter off white above, or alternately a paler shade of the tan you used below. keeping things light to balance all the dark furniture will help keep the room bright. Also, consider mounting a mirror opposite one of the windows to multiply the light!

Best of luck!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.