Decorating & Furniture/mixing fabric with leather

Question
We currently have a great brown leather sofa and are about to invest in a love seat and chair to finish the living room.  We have hard wood floors and wooden vaulted ceilings.  I do not want to get more leather because we already have so much brown!  I am wondering what sort of fabrics will mix well with the leather sofa?  We are thinking about going with a red love seat.  Would you recommend a patterned chair or more leather or red?  We need help!

Answer
Stephanie,

One of my consummate rules is that when you are purchasing big ticket items like furniture, you should stay as neutral in the "fabric" pattern as possible., i.e., no plaids, flowers, large patterns.  The reason is simple.  If you put the pattern you like today into accessories such as draperies, throw pillows,etc., you have not made a large investment.  If/when you tire of that pattern, you don't have to replace a high ticket item - you replace something more affordable.  Trust me, over time you will change you mind and your tastes somewhat.  

Now, to get to your real question, you can use any fabric with leather.  I'd suggest that if you love that red love seat, go with it and add some touches of red to the couch to pull it into the mix.  I'd probably opt for a chair that coordinates with the love seat, especially since you're tired of the brown.  

The only "pattern" that really works is one like tweed or a tiny stripe.  You'll know what pattern appears solid from a distance, or when you look at it and squint your eyes.  You can probably find a chair that incorporates the two colors of brown and red with a third color such as cream or taupe.  

Have fun shopping!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik