Decorating & Furniture/paint question

Question
Hi Jenny,
I live in a colonial house.  Due to mold on the walls, I have to paint my dining room. All the rooms are painted linen white with white trims except for the dining room.  The previous owner painted it what looks to be a faux finish.  I will paint myself and therefore I will not do another faux job.
The dining room is small, about 14 x 14.  There is a window on the east wall and a picture window on the north wall (the room is not very light). The floors in the whole house are oak wood - naturally stained -medium gold/brown.  The dining room has a chair rail.  It also has 2 dark brown bookcases and a dark brown breakfront.  The dining room table is dark brown and so are the chairs.    The chair seats are a medium to dark blue/brown tweed.  There is an area rug that is blue/tan and off-white.
I need help in deciding what colors to paint the room.  It is small so I would like it to look bigger and lighter.  I was told to use Behr paint because of the mold problem.
Thank you so much.
Jackie  

Answer
No paint will kill mold, or cover it.  Mold is a living bacteria that must be eliminated before you paint.  

Mix 1 part water with 2 parts bleach.  Spray on the area where you see mold and let it dry for at least 12 hours.  Repeat that if needed.  I cannot stress this enough.  Mold can be deadly.  If you cannot eliminate it yourself, hire a professional to do it.  It may mean replacing the dry wall.  If so - do it.  It will only grow and spread.

Once the mold is gone completely, you can use Kilz or Benz as a primer and then paint.  

I'd suggest Behr's Golden Wheat as a color choice once everything else is done.

While I don't mean to alarm you, some of us (me included) have allergic reactions from mild to severe to mold.  Get rid of it now, before it takes over.

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik