Decorating & Furniture/repainting stairway risers and balusters

Question
I am redecorating my living room.  I have a new light tan couch, repainted the walls a lighter cream/tan color.  I have light to medium oak colored stained trim around the two story windows and stained baseboards.  The wood floor is a little darker than the trim.  The fireplace surround is darker with a little reddish tone with brown/beige marble.
The stairway has a fixed navy carpet runner in the middle with wood on the sides.  The rail is stained and the balusters(spindles) and risers are painted white.  It is the only thing that is white, no trim or walls are white.
Can I paint the balusters a very dark brown and paint the risers the same color as the wall which is a light beige.  Actually the wall is Benjamin Moore's antique parchment.
Should I paint the fireplace surround the same dark brown.
Is it possible for me to send photos and would that help.
with some of the new houses using black metal balusters, I wondered why I couldn't copy that by painting the balusters dark.  I first thought black, but felt very dark brown would be better with the rest.

Answer
I agree with you about the dark brown.  I would do the balusters in brown and the risers in the parchment.  The fireplace surround would be much nicer with the dark brown as well, adding continuity to the space.  

Thanks for writing and being so descriptive.  Good thinking too about checking out new homes and interpreting their actions to your own situation.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik