Decorating & Furniture/wall color with dark furniture and floor

Hi Jenny,
Our living room is about 15.5 feet square.  We have a a glossy black baby grand piano, very dark bluish green leather furniture, 18' ceiling, and lots of light through  windows on the north and east sides.  There are windows that are at "room level" and upper windows in the high area that complement the lower windows. There is also a white bannister and railing on the backside of the stairway that is in the entry.  We are putting in a dark wood floor and will put a large area rug on top.  I don't know whether to go light, medium, or dark on the walls.  I don't want to see blobs of dark furniture.  I want it to be cohesive.  Thanks so much for your help!

I have two suggestions on color for you; either will accomplish your goals.  One is camel brown -- not tan, but a rich camel.  The other is a taupe.  Everyone who's ever read one of my answers knows it by now - it's Toasty Grey (more toast than grey) by Glidden.  

Either of these rich colors will enhance your furniture, your trim and your space.

Best wishes,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology