Decorating & Furniture/Color Coordination

Question
I have recently moved to a new apartment and purchased light shade of orange sofa's. Am abit confused on what color to paint the walls am going for a bright colored sitting area and want to work with an orange theme. However not match everything! what color goes with orange for curtains? and wall painting?

Answer
Hi Faith,
Believe it or not, there are many options for your complimentary colors.
The shade of orange will be the determining factor on the exact compliment.
I'm envisioning a sherbert or light apricot color orange as you describe the orange as a "light shade of orange."
Going with the Sherbert orange, here are some options:
(if it's not sherbert, then the color options I'm providind will need to be kicked up a notch to go with a stronger orange.)
Sky Blue, light brown, blue green and green blue, periwinkle, lavender, sage green, light sand tone tan.
This sounds silly, but I would get a box of the Crayola Brand 64 crayons, and put some of the colors I noted above on a piece of paper next to the orange shade you have for your sofas, and start to eliminate the colors you don't like.
All of the options I provided - work, but they need to work for you and your home.  You may not like lavender or light brown - therefore, you'll need to look at the other options.
Once you get the complimentary color chosen for accessories and find a pattern in a curtain with the colors you like, the wall color will fall into place.
This sounds like a fun project, with so many options.
I would love for you to share your pictures with me when the project is complete.  Thanks, Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner