Decorating & Furniture/Re-Painting My Room

Hi Sandy,
  My name is Clara and I'm thinking of re-painting my room. Right now, i have a mint green color all over and my furniture is dark brown with gold fixtures. My room is fairly big; I can fit a queen sized bed, 2 end tables, a vanity, a bookshelf, and a dresser. The original set of furniture was my grandmother's, and I like it because the set of 4 are antiques (the headboard, the vanity, one of the end tables, and the dresser.) I recently bought the other end table at a garage sale and it fits in with the other furniture because of it's darkness. But the bookshelf is way off because it is light. What color do you suggest I paint my room and what do you suggest I do with the miss-matched bookshelf?

Hi Clara,
I love the idea of the mis-matched bookshelf.  I think it adds interest.  If you really don't like it, you can always strip it down and re-stain it or you can sand it and paint it to compliment the darker furniture.

Regarding the wall color? I would say you should purchase your favorite comforter or bedspread, and then compliment the wall color from the linens.  This would be your inspiration for color.
I like light yellows and sage greens for bedrooms, but that's just my personal taste.  
I would recommend starting with the bedding or even window treatments to start the project.
Thanks for writing,

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory