Decorating & Furniture/Stuck with mocha walls and gray/green carpet :-(

Question
   I'm moving into a new apartment and will be purchasing new furniture.  I want the apartment to feel calm and open.  I'm hoping to keep the furniture minimal and employing a lot of natural woods and light colors.  Unfortunately, the walls are a mocha color and the carpet (sigh) is a light gray-green (bigger sigh).  I don't have the ability to change either.
   Will I run into problems with light colored woods and the mocha walls?  Generally with mocha walls I see a lot of dark stained woods which I don't really like.  Also, any colors to use or avoid given the walls and carpet?  Any recommendations in general?

Thanks,
Robert

Answer
Hi Robert,
I think the light woods will work just fine.  In fact, it's a very clean more modern look than the darker woods.
Regarding colors to avoid due to the carpet and wall color -
I would say be very careful with trying to incorporate greens. While it's a great color and one I usually gravitate toward, you'll have to watch how the carpet responds.  I could throw off the colors.
I would say perhaps go with rich deeper yellows like in a Sunflower or golden tones.
Vases or throw pillows in those tones will work nicely.
You could also try some blue tones in lighter shades, again keeping in mind the carpeting, but it may enhance the look.
Just a couple of options for you.
Enjoy your new space, and thanks for writing.
Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner