Decorating & Furniture/kitchen/living room paint color

We recently put red oak wood laminate flooring in our kitchen and adjoining living room.  We are now struggling to find a paint color for the walls.  In the kitchen we have white appliances, slightly off white cabinets, and are considering neutral beige countertops.  On the walls in the kitchen, there is a chair rail about 1/3 of the way up.  We would like to paint the wall above the chair rail a warm beige, and use that same color on the living room walls (the two rooms are connected by a small hallway/entryway with no obvious stopping point for paint).  We would like to paint the wall below the chair rail in the kitchen a darker warm brown.  So far, all of the colors that we think "match" the flooring have orange undertones.  We are worried that we're going to make our house glow orange!  Since we plan to sell the house in a few years, we are trying to keep the walls neutral and use accessories to add color.  If you could suggest a few paint combinations that would complement red oak, we would be very grateful.  Thank you!

Hi Heidi,
What about a nice soft warm sage color rather than trying to make the room too beige/orangish.
I'm thinking of a Sherwin Williams color called "Ancient Marble" #SW6162
If sage doesn't appeal to you, and you want to stick with a warm beige, I would look at a couple of different options, in your own home.  You should pick up the samples and look at them under your lighting at various times throughout the day.
Some great warm beige colors are:
Sherwin Williams:
Totally Tan #SW6115
Bagel #SW6114
Baguette #SW6123
Thanks for writing, hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory