Decorating & Furniture/Best flooring color for large family room with all light knotty pine walls & ceilings

We just redid our Wisconsin Northwoods home's family room with knotty pine walls and ceiling in a natural finish.  We have some large windows and a stone fireplace.  We need new carpeting in the room and am wondering what color or color family you would suggest.  I brought in some light samples and everything just melted together with no "wow" factor.

Hi Paula,

Stay with a neutral pallette for your carpeting.  You're not going to get your "wow" factor from carpet.

Get your wow factor from either a bold accent color (like an unexpected red or fuschia or neon green!!!)  You may even want to get it with a zebra stripe or some other animal print as a wall-hanging, or as an upholstered piece of furniture.

You'll be happier and better off in the long run to purchase a medium to light neutral shade of carpet!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology