Decorating & Furniture/RE:Kitchen/diningroom paint color

Hi Sandy,

I am in the process of updating my '70's kitchen and breakfast room. We have chosen Polar Blue Granite for our countertops (mostly a black granite with silver and blue highlights-very sparkly). We have a beadboard ceiling, mostly white tile floors with some black diamonds in every fourth corner and medium to light cherry cabinets. We also have two huge windows with white trim-one in the kitchen and one 8foot slider. I am having trouble picking out the paint for these two rooms that are opened to each other. I also have a long wall on the opposite side that is wallpapered with a very light cream background and sage green vines, rose and blue flowers and some silver highlighted vines that are mostly highlights and not really that noticeable. I want to tie it all in-but I can't seem to find the right color. I have thought or green, blue or soft grey, or boring creamy color. My wallpaper goes all the way into the den part of the room and that room has a soft grayish slightly country blue sectional. I am not married to the wallpaper-it can be changed if needed, but I'd like to see if I can keep it. What do you think for a paint color? There is only small parts of walls left to paint, as a lot of it is windows or a short soffet. Oh, I will probably pick stainless steel for my appliances, but it looks like I could also go black and it would look nice too. My kitchen and breakfast room look out to a huge glass green pool. I would appreciate some helpful advice. Thank you!

Hi Candace,
I will do the best I can without seeing a sample of the wall paper.
I agree, beige might not be the right color.
I like that you are thinking of greys or greens.  These are a little more neutral than the blue and will blend nicely with what you already have.

I am going to recommend a few colors here, and you will need to decide which one works best with your wall paper.
Good luck with your project.

Sherwin Williams:
SW 7079 Ponder  (grey color)
SW 6001 Grayish  (grey color with some green undertones)
SW 6399 Chamomils (green color)
SW 6420 Queen Anne's Lace (green color)  

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory