Decorating & Furniture/decorative molding in bedroom

Question
We are thinking of installing chair rail and "box framing" below in the master bedroom.  What are the thoughts on doing this?  The bedroom is fairly large and we have cherry furniture.  We are thinking if we go with a little darker color above the chair rail that it will help by having chair rail and framing below painted white.
Thank you.

Answer
Hi Mike,
Normally my preference is to have the darker color paint on the bottom of the chair rail and a lighter color or tone above the chair rail.
If you put the darker color on top, this may make the room appear as though it's coming down on you.
I don't know how high your ceilings are, but I'm guessing they are 9' ceilings.  You may even have a tray ceiling.
If so, you could accent the tray with the darker color to compliment the lower part of the walls.
I hoped this helps.
Thanks for writing,
Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner