Decorating & Furniture/Couch matching

I jsut bought a house (my first one :)) and in the living room there is a blakc/gray HUGE bring fire place. I am thinking of doing blacks (black coffee table etc.) I recently bough ivory and greeny coloured curtains and was debating on the colour of couch to buy? I was thinking a green colour as I think Black furniture may be a little to much as the space is very small?

Hi Micale,  If your fireplace if dark and overwhelming, bringing in large pieces of dark furniture will only make your space feel heavy & dark and draw attention away from the fireplace.  Given that you have already bought your curtains, I would suggest a couch colour in the same family as the ivory: warm,yet light.  This colour will also work as a wall colour.  You can vary it a couple of shades as well.  If you really would like a green couch, just make sure it is more on the neutral side with a hint of green.    

You can certainly still have your black coffee table and maybe a few other pieces of small accent furniture and accessories in the green colour.   You may want to choose a table with a glass top which will help lighten the feel of the space.  

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.