Decorating & Furniture/Couch matching

Question
Hello,
I jsut bought a house (my first one :)) and in the living room there is a blakc/gray HUGE bring fire place. I am thinking of doing blacks (black coffee table etc.) I recently bough ivory and greeny coloured curtains and was debating on the colour of couch to buy? I was thinking a green colour as I think Black furniture may be a little to much as the space is very small?

I NEED YOUR HELP

Thanks

Answer
Hi Micale,  If your fireplace if dark and overwhelming, bringing in large pieces of dark furniture will only make your space feel heavy & dark and draw attention away from the fireplace.  Given that you have already bought your curtains, I would suggest a couch colour in the same family as the ivory: warm,yet light.  This colour will also work as a wall colour.  You can vary it a couple of shades as well.  If you really would like a green couch, just make sure it is more on the neutral side with a hint of green.    

You can certainly still have your black coffee table and maybe a few other pieces of small accent furniture and accessories in the green colour.   You may want to choose a table with a glass top which will help lighten the feel of the space.  

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi