Decorating & Furniture/Dark Floors

My husband and I are about to be in a home with almost black hardwood floor all over the house. What would you suggest color wise for furniture and wall colors?

Hi Meagan, Keep your main, larger pieces of furniture and wall colour in warm toned but light coloured neutrals this will help lighten the feel of the rooms.   Bring in some of the dark colour of the hardwood into a few small furniture and accent pieces.  You can also bring in other colours, not necessarily neutral through art and accessories.  Don't worry about the dark floor, it's a designer favourite.   A darker floor visually grounds the space a lot better than a light one.

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.