Decorating & Furniture/Family room furniture placement

Question
Help! We have an awkward room that opens to the kitchen.  Our fireplace is centered btwn 2 tall, narrow windows on the north wall with the opening into the kitchen to the left, the kitchen countertop is on the west "wall", and the opening from the hall/front door/living room is on the southeast corner.  Right now we have our couch facing the west (kitchen counter) with the big screen tv on the south wall (opposite the fireplace wall)--visible from couch and chair, but people have to walk in front of it upon entering--it's the longest wall. A big recliner is in front of the left side fireplace window almost blocking entrance to the kitchen area. It works, but I'd like other suggestions.  If we put the couch on the south wall, it would be too far from the fireplace and/or tv and people would walk in front of it upon entering??  

Answer
Hi Tracy, sorry for the late reply.  It's a hard room to work with.  We should try and work with your largest piece of furniture first, which is the couch.

The only practical place to put it is where you have it now, on the east wall.  Placing in at the south wall may create a visual and possibly physical block upon entering the room, but I can't say for sure as I don't have a photo to assess it with.   You could try and place it on the south wall, but bring it in a couple of feet away from the wall, and place a console/sofa table behind it.  This would mean your tv would have to be mounted above the fireplace or if you prefer on the east wall.

I would try to replace the large recliner with two smaller club/armchairs.  If you decide to place the tv above the fireplace, they would be placed on the east wall and if you decide to place the tv on east wall then you would place the in front of the two windows, brought slightly forward and angled towards each other.  

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi