Decorating & Furniture/decorating narrow living room

living room
living room  
My living room is about 9 ft wide and 12 ft long. (the entire room is 23 ft, but I am measuring to where there is a beam across the ceiling and down the wall, it seems to separate the spaces, the back space you can't see in the picture has our desk and computer.) There is a large 7 ft opening to the right of the back wall that leads into the kitchen/dinning area. And there is a window to the left of the back wall, directly across from the opening. It is such a small awkward space, I have no idea what to do with it. I want to redo the whole room with new furniture, but I don't know what kind of furniture or placement to go with. I'm not sure if it would work or not, but I have thought about getting a TV for on the back wall and a electric fireplace with built in shelves on both sides, but have no idea what colors to go with. The room is close to the kitchen that has white shelves, so not sure if i should stick with that color or not. I would be very grateful for some ideas on what kind and color of furniture to go with. I really want to to have a comfortable and beautiful space for me and my family, but I have no idea how to achieve that! Thank you so  much for your time.

Hi Cindy, sorry for the late reply.  As your room is pretty small, I would recommend you buy condo sized furniture.  A neutral coloured sofa and a couple of smaller armchairs would work well.  The armchairs can be bolder or brightly coloured.  Place accessories and artwork around the space using the some of the same colours as the chairs.  You may also keep the chairs neutral and use cushions  to add colour.  The shelves will look better if they are in white.  Place an area rug in the room to help define the living area.  I'm not sure if you wanted an electric fireplace an a tv on the same wall, but having them both there will be too overwhelming for this small space.   

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.