Decorating & Furniture/family room layout help

Here is my issue: would love to redo my family room but want to be sure it will work. I dont have pix so I'll have to describe as best I can.
My family room (23'x14') and kitchen are connected and only seperated by a half wall. As i'm looking into the family room:
on the left wall (2 story wall) I have my couch and a chair facing the other wall. The next wall has my fireplace. Directly across the larger wall is the smaller wall with 2 windows, 2 chairs facing the couch and inbetween is my tv (in tv cabinet - also between the 2 windows).
I would love to rearrange the furniture because basically, 2 of the 4 chairs cannot view the tv, nor can I see the tv from the kitchen.
Can the tv go into one of the corners one either side of the fireplace and move the couch inbetween the windows? does it matter what piece of furniture is along the larger wall?

Hi, I'm very sorry for the late reply, I had some personal matters to attend to.  It's very hard for me to visualize this room without a photo.  I cannot assess the size of your pieces either, so I'll give you general advice on how to place furniture and some options that might work.    

It's much easier to work with a room when you have the largest piece of furniture in place first.  Generally the largest piece should go along the largest wall, but there always exceptions.
If you have a nice view from windows then you don't want to block that with a couch, place two smaller chairs or an ottoman in front of it instead.  Create a grouping of furniture around the tv.  You may have too many chairs in this room so you might consider taking away two of them or placing them facing inwards on either side of the fireplace. You can place your tv on a stand instead of a cabinet, which will give you more options on where to place it.  Again, I'm sorry but without a visual aid, I can't give you a specific layout.    

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.