Decorating & Furniture/Decorating with Different Stained Woods

I live in a condo with living room dining room combination (square-shaped room).  Our dining room furniture (table buffet and china cabinet) is mahogany stained.  I like the new cinnamon stain and would like to use it in the living room area (coffee table/three end tables/media center).  We are thinking of buying sofa and recliner in saddle leather).  We are trying to stick with transitional style. Can we successfully mix the two different types of stains in this configuration?

Hi Deborah, You can definitely use a different stain of wood and the combination you have in mind will look very interesting.    The rule for using different tones of wood in a space is to have no more than three.  

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.