Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen color scheme-paint interior of cabinets different color?

Question
Our house is a Georgian colonial built in 1913. We are remodeling the kitchen--keeping the old wood cabinets that were installed in 1950-60 and adding some others. The top cabinets are glass front. We're painting the cabinets and molding Ben Moore White Dove. Our countertops will be Giallo Napoleane (a white with black and claret/brown accents) and Ubatuba on island(from the previous owners)--black/green overall with brown accents. We have a large stainless steel double sink with integrated drainboards (also from past owner), stainless refrigerator and white dishwasher and wall oven and large stainless hood over cooktop on island. We're putting in 4 inch wide red oak floors. We like warm colors--room tends to be dark--especially in NE winter. We have a yellow on wall now--would like to keep it in yellow family. What color do you suggest for walls and should we paint the interior of the glass front cabinets a contrasting color? My husband likes the idea of a soft blue. Rest of our house is pretty traditional but we like strong colors--dining room is a raspberry red, library is deep green, TV room off kitchen is deep blue (think a NE landscape in fall). Suggestions?

Answer
Painting the interior of the glass front cabinets will add visual depth.  If you're keeping the walls pale yellow, using blue for the cabinets would be a good choice.  

Since you appear to be happy with the current wall color, you may not want to change it especially if you want to maintain the yellow.  Keep in mind that painting the cabinets' exterior in white will reduce the contrast between walls and cabinets, so you may want a deeper tone for the walls like a shade of taupe or grey.  If you opt to change the wall color, use a contrasting color like red or black for the cabinets' interior.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik