Decorating & Furniture/Living Room

Hi Ms. Wojcik,

We have white-washed colored furniture (countryish-one main entertainment piece and two end tables. We also have a yellow seating bench. Our couch and loveseat are both green.  My dilema is wall color and carpeting color.  We currently have Hampton Green for our walls (which is more in the yellow family with a hint of green and our carpeting is a berber which has green and beige squares.  We also have one sliding glass door (as our window) in the living room.  We went and shopped for carpeting and we were looking at green, berber, swirl, but I'm not sure if that is too much green in the room. P.S. the carpeting covers the entrance way, living room and leads to our two bedrooms and bathroom.  Total square footage is approximately 300 sq.ft. Thanks in advance for your help.  Andrea B.

Hi Andrea,

My best suggestion is to keep the carpeting neutral in color.  You may consider an off-white or beige/camel brown Berber with flecks of woven color which would coordinate well with any furniture of any color or style.  

As for the wall color, if you want to change from the color you now have consider a taupe or grey in a medium to light hue (shade).  Having a different wall color than your furnishings makes a broader, more impactful statement than when everything is the same.  The only time that is untrue is when you purposely have a monochromatic (one-color) scheme in a space, where everything including furniture, wall color, accessories etc. are derived from one color, just different hues and differing textures.  

Hope this helps you.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology