Decorating & Furniture/Painting a small bedroom using an accent color on one wall

I have a 11' by 15' bedroom with 2 windows, with a beige carpet that we are keeping. When you walk in the bedroom door, the short walls are to the left and right with the closet immediately to the right, inconveniently behind the bedroom door.(they get in each others way). Standing in the doorway looking directly across is a single window.(on the 15' wall). Looking to the left in the middle of the 11' wall is the 2nd window. We've decided to put the headboard of the queen size bed in the middle of and against the 15' wall. So we're thinking a dark blue as accent and some sort of beige that matches the carpet for the other walls. Which wall should be the accent wall? Would it look ok to make the 11' wall to the left with the window in the middle the accent wall? Also, I always lean towards dark furniture.

The accent wall should be the one that the bed sits on; the one you immediately see when you enter the room.

Rather than beige and dark blue, consider a taupe with dark blue to add some visual interest to the space.  Check out Glidden's Toasty Grey.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology