Decorating & Furniture/Rubberwood Table

I just bought a rubberwood table from Pier one (dark finish) - my daughter laid a napkin with nail polish remover on it on the table and it looks like it ate through the finish and then she tried to wipe it off with the same nail polish remover soaked napkin.  I have a spot on the table now - anything I can do to repair this small area??

Here's a quick "Band-Aid on a whale" - not a permanent repair, but something to disguise the finish.  Your local home improvement store have MinWax furniture repair pens available in varying finish shades.  Purchase the one closest to your table, apply the repair and then wipe it off.  It may take several applications to fill in the spot, but apply and wipe off until you are satisfied with the result.  

One of the intrinsic problems with rubberwood is that the polyurethane coating that is added to the raw wood wears off (and of course is removed by acetone.)  If you use the table frequently, you will eventually have to sand off the entire tabletop and reseal with non-yellowing (says so on the can) poly.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology