Decorating & Furniture/Sofa vs loveseat vs chair

Question
We expanded our living/family room to 21 x 15.5'. The two 15.5' walls have various doors and windows, and there is a wood-burning stove in the corner between the "left" (facing the TV) 15.5 wall and the 21 foot wall (where the TV is). There is only one 21' wall; the family room area is actually part of a great room that also includes the kitchen. We currently have a 7' sofa, two end tables, and a recliner but want to replace the sofa and add additional seating. The question is whether to replace the sofa with a slightly longer sofa or a sectional and/or add a loveseat and/or add a second recliner. I love the look of a sectional but am not sure it's the practical thing to do. We want adequate, comfortable seating where people can see the wood burning stove and the TV. I usually casually entertain 20-30 people a few times a year. Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Betsy,

Your best bet for additional seating is either two sofas plus a chair; two love seats plus a chair or; two large chairs and large sofa.  

Remember too that furniture can be "floated" in the space leaving room on the outer side for people to walk.  

If you keep the recliner (which I understand from a comfort point of view) you may want to try and match it and add a new sofa.  I'd also add some ottomans (that match/coordinate with your furniture) which could serve as additional pull-up seating when you have lots of people.  

Hope this helps you.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik