Decorating & Furniture/Sofa vs loveseat vs chair

We expanded our living/family room to 21 x 15.5'. The two 15.5' walls have various doors and windows, and there is a wood-burning stove in the corner between the "left" (facing the TV) 15.5 wall and the 21 foot wall (where the TV is). There is only one 21' wall; the family room area is actually part of a great room that also includes the kitchen. We currently have a 7' sofa, two end tables, and a recliner but want to replace the sofa and add additional seating. The question is whether to replace the sofa with a slightly longer sofa or a sectional and/or add a loveseat and/or add a second recliner. I love the look of a sectional but am not sure it's the practical thing to do. We want adequate, comfortable seating where people can see the wood burning stove and the TV. I usually casually entertain 20-30 people a few times a year. Thanks for your help.

Hi Betsy,

Your best bet for additional seating is either two sofas plus a chair; two love seats plus a chair or; two large chairs and large sofa.  

Remember too that furniture can be "floated" in the space leaving room on the outer side for people to walk.  

If you keep the recliner (which I understand from a comfort point of view) you may want to try and match it and add a new sofa.  I'd also add some ottomans (that match/coordinate with your furniture) which could serve as additional pull-up seating when you have lots of people.  

Hope this helps you.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology