Decorating & Furniture/Wall Color

We are currently remodeling our home and am I having a hard time selecting the wall color for our living room.  We plan to buy new furniture and I was considering getting a dark grey microfiber couch and decorating it with teal or turquoise accent pillows.  I was also thinking about getting a red rug to place under a coffee table or large black leather ottoman.  What wall color would go best with this type of color combination?  Should I also stick with the same color for the rest of the house?

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your question.  Your color combinations are best accented by a warm neutral wall color.  I'd opt for a grey tone or a taupe.  To get the best of both, consider Glidden's Toasty Grey.  It's a wonderful rich, warm shade of taupe and acts as the perfect backdrop for most any color.

As for painting the rest of the house in the same color, the simple answer is that you do not have to.  What's best is to "coordinate" your wall colors so that there is a nice color transition from room to room.  This can be done with different hues (shades) of one color, or combining colors that have the same strength or intensity of color.  To do the latter, you simply select colors from the same position on a color swatch.  Color # 3 on a Glidden sample will be the same intensity of color as Color # 3 on a different Glidden swatch.

Hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology