Decorating & Furniture/advice on carpet and drapes

We recently finished adding extra feet to a bedroom.  I got bold and painted the walls and the ceiling all one color - it's sort of a seafoam green, but seems to also look blue in certain light.  I need to buy drapes and also have carpet installed.  We thought white woodwork would brighten, so that's what we've already installed.  We were going to put up crown molding, but have been told it would need to be professionally installed because it's hard to do so we just can't afford the expense.  Our bedroom furniture has a cherry look.  What color carpet and drapes (or should we use blinds??) should I choose?

Neutral colored carpeting is a good choice so that you can more easily change your color scheme as the mood strikes.  I'd opt for a berber in a beige or taupe with flecks of color in it.  It's long wearing and works well for bedrooms.  

Coordinate your window coverings with your furniture and/or bed linen color.  If you opt for draperies, it's a more professional look to either incorporate all the colors in the room in a patterned fabric OR to use solid color draperies that match your duvet.  Blinds versus draperies are up to you.  If you need light control or have privacy needs, you may want blinds or shades as well as draperies.  

Personally, I feel that unless you have custom wood blinds or shutters, the window looks unfinished with blinds alone.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology