Decorating & Furniture/floor colour

Hi Jenny,

we are completly renovating a Florida Condo we just bought. We will organize most of the work from Toronto, Canada. While down in Fl a few weeks ago we picked out tile for the entire condo unit. It's 1,100 square feet and we've been told larger tiles will make the place look bigger. We also like the look of larger tile,  we're probably going to get 16 x16 size. Lay them out straight lines not staggered. The colour we think we like best is off-white referred to at Lowes as "Lowes Rialto White".  Can you suggest colours for the trim and walls?

Mchele -in--Canada

Hi Michele,

Larger tiles do add visual space, particularly when they are laid on the diagonal.  You may want to consider using the 16 x 16 squares laid in that pattern rather than straight.  

Virtually any color will coordinate with the tile, but I particularly like and most often recommend Glidden's Toasty Grey.  It's a beautiful shade of taupe and works very well with most any style furniture.  As for the trims, they should all be white and best in a semi-gloss finish.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology