Decorating & Furniture/master bedroom, bathroom redo

We are doing a complete redo of our master bath and a facelift to master bedroom. I have purchased bedding from Pottery Barn in the Matisse collection, blue porcelain/powder blue. In choosing paint for the walls, should the bedroom and bathroom be painted same color? Also, does the hardware for the cabinets and lighting, faucets need to match? Home was built in 90 so door knobs are antique brass, now the lighting choices are bronze, chrome etc. Original plumbing is chrome but I will be replacing all except in shower. Thank you!

Hi Emily,

Paint should coordinate from room to room but not match necessarily.  Using a darker or lighter tone of the same color looks best, and creates a cohesive feel.  

As for the hardware, try to replace everything so that it matches.  The door knobs are inexpensive to replace, ranging from $5 - $10 for indoor doors at your local home improvement store.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology