Decorating & Furniture/selecting wood furniture

I just built an arts and craft style home.  We have hickory wood floors (med stain) maple cabinets with a med to dark stain.  I have maple (med stain) in the family room.  We have an open family rm/kitchen/dining area.  I'm looking to purchase a new table and chairs.  I really like a espresso maple stained harvest table.  Am I wrong to choose another color of wood.  We also have black granite countertops.  I feel like if I get a table in the shade as the cabinets it is lost in the room.  I thought about getting a black table and chairs but I like the warmth of the wood grain rather than choosing a painted black table.  I feel like the espresso is warmer but still has the darker/black tone to go with the granite.  This is a lot harder than I thought.  I'm stressing over it. Help!

Hi Dee,

Don't stress - go with your gut on this.  The espresso table will coordinate beautifully with your kitchen, and kudos all around for the beautiful choices you made for the kitchen.  It's outstanding!

Mixing wood tones is fine, and you are absolutely correct - a "same" tone would get lost.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology