Decorating & Furniture/choosing bedding for son and daughter's bunk beds

Our home only has two bedrooms. Our daughter has been sleeping in the bed with us since she was a small baby. We think they are now of age to use bunk beds, but my dilemma is picking out bedding that will compliment each other and something that isn't too out there that I can't tolerate or that either one of our children won't like. Our son is 7 and our daughter is 4. Of course he is all boy and into sports and our daughter likes the normal girl stuff. Pink, flowers, etc. We do, however, DO NOT want character bedding. I keep thinking something in stripes or a pattern, but I am not sure what will look well together since they are going to be sharing a bedroom now.

Hi Lana,  To mix their bedding patterns successfully you can choose fabric that has at least one common colour in it and that the scale of the two patterns are different and not competing with each other.  For example; if you pick a paisley pattern for your daughter in a large scale, than you can compliment that with a checkered pattern in a medium scale for your son.  As long as they have at least one common colour between the two, it will work. A gender neutral colour like maybe a green or brown.  If you can find fabric with two common colours that would work even better.  You can then use these two colours to decorate the rest of the room.

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.