Decorating & Furniture/molding in Victorian

Question
Living Room
Living Room  
Hello, We have an 1889 Victorian home outside of Boston.  The house has been almost entirely gutted/renovated.  In doing so, the previous owner painted all the woodwork, molding, window casings, doors, etc. white EXCEPT the mail entry, and main stairway to 2nd floor, living room, and dining room.  I feel that those areas seem so much darker than the rest of the home (even with all new lighting).  And, I wonder if it is awkward to have only parts of the first floor stained, while the rest is white?   Would you suggest painting white or leaving it stained?

Answer
Hi Erica,  The unpainted areas probably do look darker and not only that but it may even look like someone started a paint job and then left the job unfinished. I would suggest painting these areas out in white as well, doing so will create a flow through the home and and make the place look more uniform.   

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi