Decorating & Furniture/Carpet Samples to make Rug

I have a large variety of carpet samples to make into a rug. I am not sure how to go about it. Do I remove the exterior binding and if so how? Is there a way to make the rug with the exterior binding on each sample intact/

Hi Teresa,

Thanks for writing.

I think that in order to make the rug look professionally finished, you would have to remove the binding around the outside of each sample.  The only way to accurately do that is to cut it away with a box cutter or single edge razor blade, and you MUST be very careful if you do that.  Use a straight edge or "L" or "T" square to keep your line straight, and cut on a surface that will not be marred.

Once all the sample edges are removed, you will want to attach the pieces with carpet glue and carpet tape.  You may even want to hand stitch them for additional support using a heavy gauge monofilament (fishing) line.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology