Decorating & Furniture/Color coordination/number of panels

QUESTION: I would like to know what color curtians to put in the living room/dining room (they are joined).  My furniture is light brown, my floor is a tile of gray,green burgundy and tan. My walls are white eallpaper (with splashes of gold) and light wood paneling at the bottom.  Not sure if I need to go with a solid or print color.

ANSWER: Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the question.  My suggestion would be to consider using a patterned window treatment in both rooms.  Since they are adjoining one another, yet are separately functioning spaces, use a "complementary" fabric in each space, i.e., a stripe in the living area, and a floral or abstract of the same colors in the dining room.  For instance, if you find a burgundy, green and tan stripe for the living room, use a burgundy, green and tan floral or abstract fabric for the dining room.  

Check out complementary fabrics at Bed, Bath & Beyond or by purchasing fabric from the fabric store and making your own.  Best size for any room is floor to ceiling.

QUESTION: I have a question abou the number of panels. If the window is 31 inches I use one panel on that window or two?

Here's a great rule of thumb with drapery panels.  They should be at least 3 times the width of your window.  A pair of 36" drapes would be a total of 72 inches, which is perfect for a 26" window.  For a 31 inch window, you could use one IF you got a wide panel, otherwise, best to use two.

PS:  This rule of thumb is based on fabric being "wide enough" to form a nice gather which looks much more inviting.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology