Decorating & Furniture/Color coordination/number of panels

Question
QUESTION: I would like to know what color curtians to put in the living room/dining room (they are joined).  My furniture is light brown, my floor is a tile of gray,green burgundy and tan. My walls are white eallpaper (with splashes of gold) and light wood paneling at the bottom.  Not sure if I need to go with a solid or print color.

ANSWER: Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the question.  My suggestion would be to consider using a patterned window treatment in both rooms.  Since they are adjoining one another, yet are separately functioning spaces, use a "complementary" fabric in each space, i.e., a stripe in the living area, and a floral or abstract of the same colors in the dining room.  For instance, if you find a burgundy, green and tan stripe for the living room, use a burgundy, green and tan floral or abstract fabric for the dining room.  

Check out complementary fabrics at Bed, Bath & Beyond or by purchasing fabric from the fabric store and making your own.  Best size for any room is floor to ceiling.

Best,
Jenny

QUESTION: I have a question abou the number of panels. If the window is 31 inches wide....do I use one panel on that window or two?

Answer
Here's a great rule of thumb with drapery panels.  They should be at least 3 times the width of your window.  A pair of 36" drapes would be a total of 72 inches, which is perfect for a 26" window.  For a 31 inch window, you could use one IF you got a wide panel, otherwise, best to use two.

Jenny

PS:  This rule of thumb is based on fabric being "wide enough" to form a nice gather which looks much more inviting.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik