Decorating & Furniture/Crown moulding/trim

Question
My husband and I are currently updating our newly purchased home.  It is a 60's ranch and we are sticking to a mix of cottage/traditional with some contemporary elements throughout the house.  My main question regards a built-in unit that was previously used as an entertainment area in a living room.  We are re-purposing it to act more as a china cabinet/bar area/sideboard in what is now our dining room that is open to the kitchen(which is next on the list).  We have already begun painting all the wood trim and crown that we've added a nice bright white.  The built-in unit is going to be painting a "cafe' cream" sort of an off-white with a darker brown/coffee glaze.  Our plan is to do the same with the kitchen cabinets.  My concern is that the crown goes right over the unit.  Should the crown/trim/ceiling coordinate more with the creamy base of the built-in?  Or is the white "crowning the room" as my mother says?  I wondered because we intend to do the same style cabinets topped with crown in the kitchen.....Help! Also, we have uncovered tongue in groove ceiling that we've done a whitewash traetment to in the dining room-if we have to change the crown, should we also do a creamy glaze over the ceiling as well?

Answer
cottage
cottage  
Do you have white baseboard molding? If so, it would be best to stick with white crown molding. Your baseboard molding should match your crown molding. If your baseboard molding is dark wood due to having wood floors, then I suggest that your crown molding be painted the cream color. Since you are going for a cottage look I think painting your tongue & groove ceiling cream would look great..however if you did the ceiling another color or a darker cream than the crown molding the crown molding would really act as a frame and frame out your walls & ceiling beautifully. It really depends on what look your trying to achieve. The attached photo shows a subtle color change from the walls to the molding. The color of the walls in the photo is Paper White by Benjamin Moore. Just to give you an idea. Hope that helps!

Darlene,Owner/Designer
Creative Carpet Design
www.creativecarpetdesign.com
blog- www.ourcreativelife.blogspot.com

Decorating & Furniture

Darlene Farmer