Decorating & Furniture/Decorating Question

Question
Hello,
I have a family room with taupe colored walls, white ceiling and dark brown furniture.  I am wondering what color I should have for the window treatments?  I was leaning towards a bamboo roman shade but wasn't sure if that would look nice. The room is a new addition and has cathedral ceilings.

Also, I have a bedroom that is BOOOORING!  The walls are light yellow. It is our master bedroom.  I need drastic help in decorating that room and what colors would compliment. The furniture is a natural wood color (also boring)!  
Thanks so much!!
Lisa

Answer
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your questions.  The family room sounds as though you're off to a great start!  Roman shades are beautiful window treatments.  If you are trying to bring in some natural elements, then bamboo is a good option.  They are earthy and will add a great amount of texture to the space.  You may want to add a pop of color to the room as well.  Consider something bold like red, or turquoise.

It sounds as though your bedroom needs some contrast.  With light walls and light furniture, you're lacking in color to contrast the two.  

Consider a darker wall color to make your furniture stand out against it.  Since it's a master bedroom, coordinate the color you select with the master bath.  As for some colors that would compliment your natural wood color, and still be rich enough and soothing enough for a master, consider:  mocha browns, putty, medium to dark shades of green or blue, or an earthy shade like nutmeg.  

Best wishes,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik