Decorating & Furniture/Hallways

I have a long narrow hallway I love all my rooms I have decorated off the hallway but how do I make the hall seem wider not longer?  I have crown and was thinking of putting chair rail but I am stuck on how to make it appear less long and narrow.???

Hi Cheryl,

Mirrors are the answer!  They pick up and reflect light and can be hung "gallery" style down your hallway.  Chair railing is an option, but if the hall is long, it may exaggerate that.  If you opt for a chair rail, paint the top lighter than the lower portion and hang the mirrors horizontally.   Even horizontal stripes (through paint) draw the eye around the space rather than focusing on the length.

Thanks for writing and for your question.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology