Decorating & Furniture/New home decor

Hi Jenny,
Glad this site actually is available. Just moved into my new home and I'm having trouble finding the right colours to match the apartment... Light grey walls, charcoal blinds, white skirting & window frames and light brown floor boards. The only current furniture i have is my bedroom furniture which is a chocolate brown..... No idea how to match all these colours. Working with grey & brown together... How does this work???

Thank you

Hi Pamela,

One of the newest trends in home decor is either mocha or latte brown paired with various shades of grey.  

For your particular question, I'm a bit surprised at the blinds being charcoal.  Typically white or off-white blinds are standard.  I probably would change those out.

Pale to medium shades of grey pair well with dark to medium shades of brown.  It's basically pairing a light with a dark.  In your bedroom, your chocolate brown furniture plays off the light grey walls.  

In the rest of your home you do not have to stick to chocolate brown.  You could certainly use light woods (you do not have to match your floor exactly either) or even a black.  The caution is that when you use light woods against a light wall color you need a something dark (maybe an area rug) to "ground" the space.

Switch out your blinds when you can.  Great colors to use in combination (bedroom) are deep reds, greens or even a pale grey blue.  

Hope this helps!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology