Decorating & Furniture/New home decor

Question
Hi Jenny,
Glad this site actually is available. Just moved into my new home and I'm having trouble finding the right colours to match the apartment... Light grey walls, charcoal blinds, white skirting & window frames and light brown floor boards. The only current furniture i have is my bedroom furniture which is a chocolate brown..... No idea how to match all these colours. Working with grey & brown together... How does this work???

Thank you
Pamela

Answer
Hi Pamela,

One of the newest trends in home decor is either mocha or latte brown paired with various shades of grey.  

For your particular question, I'm a bit surprised at the blinds being charcoal.  Typically white or off-white blinds are standard.  I probably would change those out.

Pale to medium shades of grey pair well with dark to medium shades of brown.  It's basically pairing a light with a dark.  In your bedroom, your chocolate brown furniture plays off the light grey walls.  

In the rest of your home you do not have to stick to chocolate brown.  You could certainly use light woods (you do not have to match your floor exactly either) or even a black.  The caution is that when you use light woods against a light wall color you need a something dark (maybe an area rug) to "ground" the space.

Switch out your blinds when you can.  Great colors to use in combination (bedroom) are deep reds, greens or even a pale grey blue.  

Hope this helps!

Best,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik