Decorating & Furniture/basic room decor-furnishing rules

hi, could you help me,i have a lite colour carpet, a dk chocolate leather settee,should i have curtains to match carpet or settee eg lite or dark.cushionn colours? are there any basic rules you can tell me i should follow or is it just up to individual, thankyou for any advice

Hi Dawn,

You're right.  You should follow your individual tastes, and you can take your color cues for draperies and curtains from what is already in the space.  If your carpet is light, your leather furniture is dark chocolate, look for window treatments that combine those two colors plus additional color.  Whatever that additional color ends up being, you can use that new color as an accent for the room.  

Thanks for writing and for your question.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology