Decorating & Furniture/curtain and rug colour

Question
Hi Jenny,
I am in dire straights with the choice of colour for a rug and curtains for our dining room.  The dining room isnt huge but sits 8 people comfortably round the table, which we have just bought. The suite is clear and black glass with black leather chairs.  Side board is matching clear and black glass.  What colour goes with this? I have got deep red accessories accenting through and silver.  Only things left are curtains and rug and am so scared of going for a deep red for making the room feel smaller.  Walls are a cream/ calico color.  Similarly should I get a neutral coloured rug (would Mocha go with deep red and black?), Its on a hard floor and need a rug to soak in the echoing that occurs due to all the glass! help, I wish I was an interior designer!

Answer
Hi Sabrina,

Thanks for writing and for your question.

First of all your choices are very good.  I love the idea of the deep red with the black/glass/silver.  You can use a mocha for the rug, but it would be best if the mocha incorporated the red and perhaps the cream or silver as well.  A patterned rug would look best in the space.  Check out the rugs available through www.homedecorators.com.  Get on their mailing list too - you'll enjoy the publication.

I'd opt for the deep red for curtains.  If you purchase them ready made you may want to add a strip of mocha either along the side seam or at the bottom of the drapery (depends of course on the length and width.)  This would tie the two together nicely.

Don't worry about diminishing the space with the red.  Hang the curtains as far to the sides of the windows as possible thereby allowing as much light in as possible.  It will be beautiful.

And it sounds as though your ideas are "right on" design-wise, so consider yourself a good decorator!

Best,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik