Decorating & Furniture/curtain and rug colour

Hi Jenny,
I am in dire straights with the choice of colour for a rug and curtains for our dining room.  The dining room isnt huge but sits 8 people comfortably round the table, which we have just bought. The suite is clear and black glass with black leather chairs.  Side board is matching clear and black glass.  What colour goes with this? I have got deep red accessories accenting through and silver.  Only things left are curtains and rug and am so scared of going for a deep red for making the room feel smaller.  Walls are a cream/ calico color.  Similarly should I get a neutral coloured rug (would Mocha go with deep red and black?), Its on a hard floor and need a rug to soak in the echoing that occurs due to all the glass! help, I wish I was an interior designer!

Hi Sabrina,

Thanks for writing and for your question.

First of all your choices are very good.  I love the idea of the deep red with the black/glass/silver.  You can use a mocha for the rug, but it would be best if the mocha incorporated the red and perhaps the cream or silver as well.  A patterned rug would look best in the space.  Check out the rugs available through  Get on their mailing list too - you'll enjoy the publication.

I'd opt for the deep red for curtains.  If you purchase them ready made you may want to add a strip of mocha either along the side seam or at the bottom of the drapery (depends of course on the length and width.)  This would tie the two together nicely.

Don't worry about diminishing the space with the red.  Hang the curtains as far to the sides of the windows as possible thereby allowing as much light in as possible.  It will be beautiful.

And it sounds as though your ideas are "right on" design-wise, so consider yourself a good decorator!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology