Decorating & Furniture/dark wooden floor

My living room is fitted with dark wooden flooring and my 3-seater leather sofa is closer to brown with dark wooden frame, what carpet or rug should I use? And since the sofa frame is like mahogany should I buy dark colored shelves and furniture as well? My wall decors are gold plated frames like my 2 Van Gogh imitation paintings and one huge gold plated framed mirror as well. I am just a bit confused as my existing furniture and decors are a bit classic but would want to try and mix up modern retro that possible? Please give me idea. Thanks.

Hi Mai,

When choosing an area rug, take your color cues from your furniture, the wall color and your Van Gogh prints.  By doing that you have coordinated your room and made the space comfortable.  

Mixing styles of decor is fine if the overall look pleases you.  In your particular space, using retro colors pulled from the prints is a great way to incorporate the two styles.

Thanks for writing and for your question.  

PS:  Mixing wood tones is totally fine.  Don't try to "match" everything, but rather "coordinate" everything.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology