Decorating & Furniture/dark wooden floor

Question
My living room is fitted with dark wooden flooring and my 3-seater leather sofa is closer to brown with dark wooden frame, what carpet or rug should I use? And since the sofa frame is like mahogany should I buy dark colored shelves and furniture as well? My wall decors are gold plated frames like my 2 Van Gogh imitation paintings and one huge gold plated framed mirror as well. I am just a bit confused as my existing furniture and decors are a bit classic but would want to try and mix up modern retro decorations....is that possible? Please give me idea. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Mai

Answer
Hi Mai,

When choosing an area rug, take your color cues from your furniture, the wall color and your Van Gogh prints.  By doing that you have coordinated your room and made the space comfortable.  

Mixing styles of decor is fine if the overall look pleases you.  In your particular space, using retro colors pulled from the prints is a great way to incorporate the two styles.

Thanks for writing and for your question.  

Best,
Jenny

PS:  Mixing wood tones is totally fine.  Don't try to "match" everything, but rather "coordinate" everything.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik