Decorating & Furniture/decorating in french country style in living room

QUESTION: I love french country/cottage style.  But in my living room I gave in to allowing my husband to purchase a large leather sectional in a dark burgundy/brownish color.  It's great with our 4 children and dog!  Easy clean up.  I am waiting for the kids to get a little bit older before we purchase nice slipcovered, natural colored couches!We also have a beige colored berber throw rug on hard wood floor which I know is not french country.  In the meantime, how can I work with the leather sectional to make it look french country? And suggetions on the rug?   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

ANSWER: I have a great suggestion for you.  Even if you aren't an experienced seamstress, you can most likely sew straight lines.  Purchase some "Toile" fabric in brown and cream as well as blue and cream - a couple of yards each should do it.  If you have some old throw pillows, cover them.  If you don't, then purchase some inexpensive ones and recover them with the Toile.  You can find it at any sewing store, i.e., JoAnn Fabrics or the like.  Add those (2-3 each) to your sectional.

As for the rug, how about adding a strip of the toile fabric to the edge.  You could simply fold the fabric strips and glue them on with hot glue rather than have to sew them on.  

Coordinated, using what you have, and an inexpensive solution!!

QUESTION: That was a great suggestion! I am, by the way, a seamstress.  I forgot to tell you that I have an open floor plan on my first floor.  The colors I have on this floor are sage green, a pale butter yellow and accents of burgundy(in my kitchen and dining room).  I also have these colors in my living room, except the wall color is a darker warmer shade of the butter yellow.  My curtains are a Waverly fabric of all these colors in a small floral print. So I'm not sure the Toile will go.  What if I change my curtains to a light creamy beige with a tone on tone beige tassel fringe going down the inside of  the panel with a light colored flat bamboo shade(for added texture in the room) and then did the Toile throw pillows?  Should I stil do the colors you suggested?  I think I saw at JoAnn's a Toile in green and brown.  Would that go with the yellow walls and the rest of the first floor? Thanks for help!

Yes!  By adjusting the toile colors you will be able to use it for pillows.  Adding the tnoe on tone beige to the windows is a great option.  

Keep in mind that as long as you repeat the colors of the Waverly fabric floral, you can still mix in the toile.  It takes some color confidence, but sounds as if you have it in spades!

Thanks for the update.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology