Decorating & Furniture/decorating tips

Question
hi jenny,please i just painted my living room medium bamboo color,my curtains are light blue chiffon with tiny gold designs and the valance is gold color,my leather seats are black and my rug is deep blue,how do i make my living room look wonderful cos i think the colors dont match? secondly,what color of curtains do you suggest i use and how do i accessorise my parlor cos its lacking in that department.

Answer
Hi Pamela,

If I understand correctly, the medium bamboo color is a shade of brown?  If so, I think what is throwing off the balance in the room is the deep blue rug, and perhaps the gold valance.  

Using the leather in black is fine.  That goes well with light blue and with brown/tan.

It's always easier to work in combinations of 3 colors as your primary decor colors, then you can add in touches of others through accessories, art etc.  

Try removing the gold and the dark blue, and see how you like the space.  If the gold valances can be recovered with fabric and a staple gun, you may want to change that fabric.  

As for rugs, I'd opt for something more pale in color since your furniture is black.

As for your curtains in the parlor - coordinate the colors from your living room into your parlor if the rooms adjoin one another, and if not, use a drapery that's solid in color and coordinates with your furniture for that space.

Hope this helps.
Best,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik