Decorating & Furniture/hallway and door painting

We are currently re-doing our entire home (a small cape cod).  We currently painting our new hallway drywall and doors.  I don't know what color to paint the doors.  It's a narrow hallway with 5 doors (closet, bedroom, den, bathroom, basement) that opens into our kitchen and living room.  We're re-doing our kitchen next with no decisions about colors, tile, as of yet (I will keep my white cabinets/appliances).  The living room is an almond paste (Olympic paint from Lowe's)- a beige-like color with while base, crown molding, and ceiling (it's a small room).  We are going to paint the hallway the same color with white trim around the doors and base molding.  We don't know what color to paint the doors (white or almond paste).  Any suggestions.  Floor will soon be hardwood (we're pulling the carpet).  Thanks for any advice you can give.

Thanks for your question and for the detail you provided about existing colors/textures in your home.  

Typically, doors and trim colors are kept the same throughout the home for continuity.  I would recommend that in your case as well since you describe your home as a small cape cod.  

Color could certainly be added to your walls to create some contrast between trim and wall, but keep your trim color the same throughout.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology