Decorating & Furniture/kitchen colors

Question
We are remodeling our kitchen (approx. 20'x12', facing south, 8' ceiling).  I prefer wood floors and stained cabinets but want there to be enough contrast so it doesn't blend into each other. I am leaning towards Brazilian Teak/Cumaru for the floor, and a light granite and backsplash, but I'm not sure if I should go lighter or darker on the cabinets. Lighter will look, well... lighter, but I worry it will be blah.  Dark will give drama, but will it be too dark?  Will having a floor darker than the cabinets pull your eye down to the floor?  Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Answer
Hi Tara,

Great question!  The short answer is that using a darker wood flooring (which is very "in" right now) creates a solid base for everything else you do in the space.  It "grounds" the space, if you will.  

Based on what appears to be your preference, if you did that, you would want to select something lighter for your cabinet color.  Having said that, your counter color is light which would certainly break up the floor/cabinet areas.  

Your best selection is probably the dark wood floor, the light granite and a natural maple (or such) for the cabinetry.  

In a large dollar expenditure like this it's best to "coordinate" your colors of wood rather than match them.  

Hope this helps you!

Best,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik