Decorating & Furniture/kitchen design and color

We have cherry wood cabinets, light tile, and tropical green granite. Our island is the divider between the kitchen,dining room and living room. What color and material should the livingroon side be?

Hi Terri,

Thanks for your question.  Take your color cues for walls from something that inspires you.  Your color choices are vast.  You do not have to use anything as dark as "tropical green" to coordinate with your kitchen, but adding touches of that green in accessories will go a long way toward a coordinated look, pulling color from the kitchen into other rooms in your home.  

I still pour through pages of magazines, taking in every color detail I can.  I often find inspiration from fabric.  Fabric's combination of colors steer you in the right direction as you mix colors together.  

Hope this gives you some color courage as you move forward!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology