Decorating & Furniture/painting interior doors

I am remodeling an older house, bedroom and bath doors are in decent shape but have paint over paint, I asked my painter to sand them down, prime, sand, prime again and paint, he did not sand just painted looks horrible I have issues what is the best way to get these doors looking good without too much time spent on each door, he bought stripper and spent 3 hours sanding and removing paint from ONLY one side.....I think he does not know what he does...any suggestions Im about to FIRE him

Hi Les,

Thanks for the question.  It sounds as though finding someone else to strip, sand and then stain or paint is a really good idea.  Unfortunately, we often encounter people who either say or think they can do the job, and either do not have the knowledge or the skills to complete the task.

Before you hire someone else, get some referrals.  Antique dealers, professional painters etc. should be a good resource for you.

The proper way to restore wood doors is to strip, sand and then stain or paint.  Using appropriate materials is critical.  Stripping all layers is time consuming and messy, but they must be stripped - not sanded away.

Hope this helps you.  If you end up doing the job yourself, talk to your local hardware store or home improvement store to get the know-how and products that will simplify your task.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology