Decorating & Furniture/painting interior doors

Question
I am remodeling an older house, bedroom and bath doors are in decent shape but have paint over paint, I asked my painter to sand them down, prime, sand, prime again and paint, he did not sand just painted looks horrible I have issues what is the best way to get these doors looking good without too much time spent on each door, he bought stripper and spent 3 hours sanding and removing paint from ONLY one side.....I think he does not know what he does...any suggestions Im about to FIRE him
thanks

Answer
Hi Les,

Thanks for the question.  It sounds as though finding someone else to strip, sand and then stain or paint is a really good idea.  Unfortunately, we often encounter people who either say or think they can do the job, and either do not have the knowledge or the skills to complete the task.

Before you hire someone else, get some referrals.  Antique dealers, professional painters etc. should be a good resource for you.

The proper way to restore wood doors is to strip, sand and then stain or paint.  Using appropriate materials is critical.  Stripping all layers is time consuming and messy, but they must be stripped - not sanded away.

Hope this helps you.  If you end up doing the job yourself, talk to your local hardware store or home improvement store to get the know-how and products that will simplify your task.

Best,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik