Decorating & Furniture/wall paint color that will work with my furniture

Question
I recently bought furniture for my house and i don't know what colors would match.2 rooms I want to paint nicely are my family room and my bedroom.For my family room my main couch is a light grey corner couch. The rest of my family ro0m furniture consists of white tables. I was thinking of painting one wall with a bright color.I don't what color would work and what color curtains I should get that would match.My bedroom furniture is a shiny oak and I already have a goldish cutain I want to put. Again I don't what color to paint my walls.
If you could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi John,

Thanks for writing and for your wall color questions.  

Beginning with your family room, the light grey couch would work well against either a very light shade or a medium to dark shade of either putty (sort of a grayish brown) or even a pale yellow.  Adding a bright accent wall would work best with putty on three walls and a shot of color (some shade of red - maybe rust) on the accent wall. I personally would recommend a medium to dark shade of color on the walls to add some contrast between your furniture and the wall space.

For your bedroom, I'm assuming the shiny oak is a golden color.  Using your gold curtains is fine, but add contrast to the walls with either a cool green (sage or celery) or a cool blue (grey blue or pale icy blue).  This will give your bedroom a "haven" sort of feel -a comforting, calming atmosphere.  

Hope this gives you some ideas.  

Best,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik