Decorating & Furniture/wall paint color that will work with my furniture

I recently bought furniture for my house and i don't know what colors would match.2 rooms I want to paint nicely are my family room and my bedroom.For my family room my main couch is a light grey corner couch. The rest of my family ro0m furniture consists of white tables. I was thinking of painting one wall with a bright color.I don't what color would work and what color curtains I should get that would match.My bedroom furniture is a shiny oak and I already have a goldish cutain I want to put. Again I don't what color to paint my walls.
If you could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi John,

Thanks for writing and for your wall color questions.  

Beginning with your family room, the light grey couch would work well against either a very light shade or a medium to dark shade of either putty (sort of a grayish brown) or even a pale yellow.  Adding a bright accent wall would work best with putty on three walls and a shot of color (some shade of red - maybe rust) on the accent wall. I personally would recommend a medium to dark shade of color on the walls to add some contrast between your furniture and the wall space.

For your bedroom, I'm assuming the shiny oak is a golden color.  Using your gold curtains is fine, but add contrast to the walls with either a cool green (sage or celery) or a cool blue (grey blue or pale icy blue).  This will give your bedroom a "haven" sort of feel -a comforting, calming atmosphere.  

Hope this gives you some ideas.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology