Decorating & Furniture/window treatments

Question
My Living Room and Dining Room are on either end of a long room in my house.  I have sheers w/ a sheer swag on the LR windows; and at the opposite end of the room (w/ no divider between the rooms) is my DR w/ a sliding glass door.  Should the window treatment be the same at each end or could I (for instance), put a valance above the sliding glass door in another fabric (showing that they are two separate areas)? Should both areas have the same window treatment or can they be different.

Thank you for your comment.

Answer
Hi Arlene,

Great question!  Thanks for writing.  

Even though you have no physical divider between the two areas, the spaces are used for different purposes, and therefore should be treated differently.  

The best advice I can give is to coordinate the two window treatments, but don't match them.  Since the spaces are used for different purposes, and ARE two different spaces, they can and should be treated on their own.  

A valance is a great idea for a slider.  If you need to add more texture, you can add sheers underneath the valance, but you certainly do not have to do so because of the living room window treatment.

Best,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik