Decorating & Furniture/Choosing wall colours

I live in a small condo with huge windows which gives me a limited wall space. I basically have one great wall that is half kitchen, half living with a breakfast bar dividing the space. I have a red sectional against the wall, 2 paintings above it in red/hot pink colours and a small glass cabinet to it's one side. Right now my walls are painted in builder's beige with a 2 tone darker (from the same paint strip. My dilemma: I would like to repaint but am stuck with colour choices. I need to work with my red couch and dark brown accents. I like grey. Benjamin Moore CC-546. If I went with it would it make my small space look to dark? I was thinking of painting living/kitchen wall the same colour. My kitchen cabinets are pine/maple colour. Would you recommend that colour for just living or both living and Kitchen? Or recommend totally different colours?

Hi Agata.  For the choice of colour on your living room walls,  I would look to your paintings and see if you can pick up a neutral colour from those.  If there isn't a neutral colour in the paintings you can use any shades of either grey, brown, creams or tans.  Which ever colour you choose, use the same one but go a shade darker of lighter for the kitchen.  If you have enough daylight coming in through the windows, I wouldn't worry that the colour may be too dark, but if you do want the room to look larger than go for a slightly lighter shade.  
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.